Tuesday 2 February 2010

Juan Munoz









I've been a fan Munoz's work since I saw his retrospective at Tate Modern a year or so ago. I really like his figures, the seem to occupy a space between humor and horror. I don't quite know whether to laugh or run for my life for fear of their seemingly inevitable animation. Also items such as scissors and a knife, which are held within two of the pieces pictured above, also add to the air of uncertainty and to unsettling the viewer... or at least they do me anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I was a fan of his too, an untimely death. However when thinking about exhibition spaces he was very inventive and it would be good to see you commenting on this aspect of his work. For instance how he used the turbine hall in Tate modern was an example of how to create one world within another. Or the way he uses balconies or clusters of figures that are exhibited in such a way that you become one of the crowd.

    ReplyDelete